Before you upload documents into FHnotebook, you’ll probably want to create a notebook or two to hold your things. (If you don’t want to make a notebook yet, that’s okay too. When you upload documents they’ll file into a notebook called “To Be Filed.”)
- To add a notebook, click the “Organization” button along the bottom of FHnotebook.
- Click “Add New Notebook.”
- Type in the title of the notebook at the top of the notebook details page. (Ex: “Gilbert Family Line”)
- Type any notes about your notebook in the “Notes” section.
- When you’re satisfied with how your notebook is set up, click “Save” in the lower right corner of the notebook page.
A notebook can hold documents, videos, audio clips, and tasks.
You can upload all sorts of documents and research items to FHnotebook: videos, audio clips, text documents, spreadsheets, photos, scans, and more!
- To add a document, click the “Add Your Files” button along the bottom of FHnotebook.
- Type in the title of the document at the top of the document details page. (Ex. “Sarah Swainston’s death certificate”)
- Type in any notes about the document in the “Notes” section.
- To upload the document, click the “Upload” button along the bottom of the document details page.
- Navigate through your computer files and find the document you want.
- Double-click the document you want.
- If you uploaded a photo or PDF that has words on it, type the words in the “Notes” section of the document details. Then you’ll be able to search for that text using the FHnotebook Search tool.
- If you’d like to flag this document with a category, click “Categories” in the right-hand panel of the document details page and click the checkbox next to the category you want. To learn more about categories, go to the “Categories” portion of this user guide.
- Click “Save” in the lower right corner of the document details page.
The file you attached to your document will appear in the right-hand panel of your document details page, next to the paper clip just under the “Categories” option. If you click on the link to the document you’ll be able to download and view it.
Drag and Drop Documents
You can drag and drop documents from your desktop into FHnotebook.*
- To drag and drop a document, click “Documents” in the right-hand panel from the main FHnotebook screen.
- Click and drag your document from your desktop to one of the headers in your Documents view (headers are the names of folders and sections or the “To Be Filed” header).
- When the header glows green, release your mouse button to drop the document.
- You can edit the document’s title, note, and other details by hovering your mouse over it and clicking the green button with a pencil in it.
*Internet Explorer does not support drag and drop.
While you’re doing research, you’ll often need to stop or take breaks from a certain family line or individual. To make sure you don’t redo research and you remember what you need to do next, you can add a research task.
- To add a research task, click the “Add To Do’s” button along the bottom of FHnotebook.
- Type in the title of the task. (Ex. “Find Julianne Stratton’s birth certificate.”)
- Type any notes about the task in the “Notes” section. Notes could include places you’ve already looked, places you have yet to look, people who would like to see the research once you’ve found it, and so forth.
- When you’re satisfied with how your task is set up, click “Save” in the lower right corner of the task panel.
To view your to do items, click “Tasks To Do” in the right-hand panel of your main FHnotebook screen.
A category can help you organize tasks, documents, and sections that are in different notebooks, but are still related. (Ex. Maybe you need to research multiple family lines when you go on your research trip next month. You’d want all your research trip resources to be available together, even though they belong to different family lines in different notebooks.) You can flag an item with a category without moving it in your notebooks and sections, and you can add as many categories to an item as you’d like.
- To create a category, click the “Organization” button along the bottom of FHnotebook.
- Click “Add New Category.”
- Type in the title of your category. (Ex. February’s Research Trip)
- When you’re satisfied with the title, click “Save” in the lower right corner of the category panel. You can see your flagged items by clicking “Categories” in the main panel on the right of FHnotebook and then clicking on the category you’d like to view. (To flag an item with a category, see “Category Organization.”)